[NAFEX] Advice on drip irrigation

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Apr 3 16:12:31 EDT 2006

Randall,

We have over 11,000 trees we irrigate with drip-irrigation from
http://www.trickl-eez.com/.  I have installed several additions to our
system that includes 2 pump houses and 4 wells.  For your needs, you will
only need a minimal amount of drip tape with emitters spaced about every 18"
apart.  Do not use soaker hose or any other type of hose that you cannot
control the flow rate.

You can get what you need at Home Depot in the Toro line of products.  Here
is your planning guide:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/pig.pdf.  Use the
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=162318 and
you should have no problem. Everything you will need is at
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/bsd/index.html It is the most similar to the
Trickl-eez system we have used for over 10 years.  The emitters are spaced
for you and the folks at Toro will help design your system for free.  You
can probably set it up for about $100 including fittings, etc.  Be sure to
use the Model: 53618 - 1/2" Hose w/ Emitters since those emitters are spaced
at 18' intervals.

Depending on your water source, all you will need is 20 to 25 psi to get the
amount of water needed for your trees or maybe less.  If it is greater than
27 psi, your tape can blow apart at the connectors.  We are running 450'
rows + at 25 psi and will blow some apart from time to time if we get a bump
up to 30 psi.  If you need more assistance, e-mail me and I will be glad to
assist.  If you let me know what your water source is and the proximity of
your trees to the source, I can lay it out for you if you would like.  Hope
this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com