[NAFEX] Fwd: Super Tasters

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue Oct 4 15:48:52 EDT 2005

I don't remember which compound we used to test supertasters back at
college, but we would put a drop on snips of paper.  Subjects would hold the
paper against their tongues and describe the flavor.  The substance I was
thinking of would register as flavorless, mildly pleasant, or mildly
unpleasant, all the way up to "Yecch!! Are you trying to poison me?  What is
this, lye??""  I'm in the last group.

I think there's more to tasting (we're not talking about aromatic flavors,
just the five basic tastes) than just number of taste buds, although that
correlates extremely well; I think there may be functional differences as
well.  Supertasters will tend to strongly dislike some foods (most cannot
stand the bitterness of any sugar substitute), and some are very fussy
eaters.  Others, perhaps most, take strong pleasure in flavor (while still
rejecting some flavors others find innocuous).  A very high percentage of
chefs are supertasters.  Many supertasters tend to like spicy foods.

In my case there are flavors that I find overly sweet, that others like.
There is one component in grapefruit (I think it's what we used for that
test) that tastes poisonously bitter to me, but I love the other flavors
(hence my search for Lavender Gem to grow, a truly sweet graefruity
tangelolo).  I hate milk chocolate, love very dark (so some bitters I like
just fine).

It wouldn't surprise me to find a high concentration of supertasters here.
As a group, we tend to be flavor-seekers.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____