[NAFEX] Persimmons...unstable?

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 22:25:23 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/22/2005 3:05:41 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
mauch1 at aol.com writes:

> We tend to think of sex being XX and XY related,  but not all 'higher'
> animals work that way.  If I have my  facts write, birds are XX and XZ and the
> females are
>  the XZ.  Turtles sexuality is determined by temperature at incubation.

In trees the sex chromosomes are refered to as X & O. Have read why but don't
remember as it isn't important at our level. Diploid plant males are XX and
females XO. So the hexaploid persimmon male would have six X chromosomes and
the females three X and three O chromosomes.

Here comes guess work. That might explain females putting on male flowers
having 3 X's. And why w/o any O chromosomes the males don't put on perfect
flowers, only semi female hence perfect flowers. But this still doesn't explain
Szukis flip flopping like it does.

OK Lon, enlighten us out here.

Jerry