[NAFEX] Deer Repellent

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Thu May 26 08:54:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 05:28:58 -0700 (PDT), Del Stubbs
<northernlights2n at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I find spraying upside down so bottom of leaves is coated seems to make
> repellant sprays last longer.  Couple eggs in a gallon of water with a
> bit of garlic thrown in, is a  friends' sucessful recipe.

Hello,

I believe many States and the National Forestry Service use the same spray.

An effective deer repellent can be made by mixing whole eggs with tap
water to form a 20 percent solution; strain and spray.

The rotting eggs emit a smell that is either similar to a deer panic
scent, or extremely unpleasant to them (cannot remember which is correct).

It has to be reapplied after rain.

However, if food pressure is high, nothing will stop them.  You can only
deter them.  I have seen them feeding in farmers fields even while a
combine is rumbling around.

Nothing better than venison summer sausage.

Later,
Tom