[NAFEX] Any opinions/ Scion soaking

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 21:01:35 EDT 2005

Pure opinion:

If I HAD TO soak scions, I'd find some distilled water.  But if scionwood is stored
properly, it doesn't dry out enough to need soaking.  (Store in one plastic bag,
which is sealed in another bag which contains a little water; inspect frequently and
add drops of water as needed.)

If I had to work with descicated scions, I'd do them last after I'd finished with
the more promising scions.  If I was out of rootstocks, tape, time, or ambition, I'd
discard the dry scions.

I don't think scions CAN dry out enough during the grafting process to matter any.
(But, note I'm in reliably humid WI.)  Keep scions in a cooler while you work, prep
all labels first, do as much note-taking as you can without holding scions exposed,
prep the rootstock first, take only one scion out of the cooler at a time.