[NAFEX] What is inadequacy in typical compost?

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Mon Mar 14 18:02:10 EST 2005

Looking at typical compost made from kitchen scraps and from mixed hardwood leaves, what would be considered its main inadequacy?  Lack of lime?  Lack of phosphorus?  Lack of potassium?  Lack of nitrogen?

This is looking at compost made typically more or less aerobically but without extra ventilation.  My compost is very dark in color.  Because I am not adding soil I would assume a generalization about composts in general would apply to my compost as well.

Charlie Paradise zone 5ish/Massachusetts