[NAFEX] Antique Apples for the Deep South

Bruce Hansen brucedhansen at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 14 14:59:54 EST 2005

The other day I received a letter from a fellow in southern Louisiana. He is
eighty two years old and still has some acreage and has dirt under his
fingernails. I love these conversations from those that are still 'doing'.
It is like the refrain from Cider House Rules, "be of use".   He wants me to
send him a few trees and asked me for recommendations for varieties for his
area. Can you believe it? At eighty two he is going to plant a few trees.
Now, that can humble you a tad. Anyway, my nursery/farm is in midwest
Michigan. I am not familiar with the requirements of southern Louisiana.
Perhaps someone could make a suggestion or two of antique varieties for that
area. I am not interested in 'internet' knowledge but would appreciate the
views of folk who have trees and subsequently direct knowledge.

Thank you.

Bruce