[NAFEX] Tree Moving

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Sun Mar 6 16:27:10 EST 2005

Hi,

How large are the trees?

I moved a Macintosh that had a trunk diameter of about 6".

First root prune the tree with a spade, 18-20" out from the trunk.  This
severs the major roots and forces the tree to form new smaller roots
within the diamter of the rootball you will dig in the future.

Second, prune the top of the tree hard.  With the significantly reduced
root zone, you have to balance the tree.  Less foliage, less need of
water/nutirents.

I would do this late summer after vigorous seasonal growth has stopped.

When the weather cools and leaves have dropped, trench around the tree/s,
then undermine the tree, forming a rootball sitting atop a pedistal.  Wrap
the rootball securely with chicken wire and burlap.  You may have to do
some wrapping before you undermine and create the rootball/pedistal.  Make
the rootball solidly wrapped.

With a couple of guys, break pedistal, and lift wrapped rootball out of
the hole.  Rootball size is limited by the number of friends willing to
risk their backs (or a backhoe).  Put the rootball/tree on a tarp and
slide it to the trailer.  Lift and secure.

Reverse process at the other end.

You will have to irrigate the replanted trees regulary.  I gave my
transplanted tree 25 gallons, once a week, on a siphon trickle for the
entire next summer.  You will find the trees will do little
suckering/foliage, as all engery will be going into roots.  Do not allow
them to fruit.

There are size limitations and it is a lot of manual work.  I did it for
one tree.

Later,
Tom