[NAFEX] Supporting persimmon, apple and pear grafts on weak understock?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jul 25 11:12:14 EDT 2005

At 06:03 PM 7/24/2005, you wrote:
>I have had good success bark grafting persimmons,but not ioo%.I had several
>blow out till now I started supporting with posts and cutting the tips of
>each branch..

I always intend to get out there and stake my grafts, but rarely get around
to it.  Occasionally lose a graft on a seedling rootstock that's out in the
open to wind or bird perching, but those in the nursery beds are, I
suppose, in close enough proximity to all their neighbors that I've not had
a problem with them breaking out.
On the few that I have staked, I just stick a bamboo stake in next to the
rootstock or tape it to the rootstock, then loosely tie or tape(with
masking tape) the vigorously-growing graft to the bamboo.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY