[NAFEX] strawberry question

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sat Jul 2 13:30:37 EDT 2005

I grow wide strawberry beds, and every other year I till under one
lengthwise half of each bed after last harvest.  I add compost when I till.
The remaining berries send out runners to cover the tilled half of the bed,
and the resulting plants bear heavily the next season, with no seasons lost.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of loneroc
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 8:06 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] strawberry question

And speaking of strawberries.  When I renew a bed after several years and
too many perennial weeds, I dig the whole bed up in the spring and replant
strong, dormant plants at an appropriate distance apart.  I can never keep
up with runners---there's always too much to do.  So, my beds are also chock
full o' berry plants.

The problem with this method is that you lose a year of production.

I am considering mowing the foliage of one of my beds and then digging
everything out a few days later, preparing the bed with new organic matter,
and then replanting the plants.  naturally these will be kept moist while
out of the ground for a couple hours.

Am I going to get regrowth and runner production this year yet?  It would be
great not to lose a year of production.  I've got so many things in the yard
that I don't have room any more to just dig a new bed.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI   USDA zone 3-4