[NAFEX] preserving mulberries

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Sun Aug 21 13:38:25 EDT 2005

At 12:31 PM 8/21/2005, you wrote:
>What experiences have people had with preserving mulberries? I am considering
>planting one, but they are large trees with lots of fruit that could become a
>nuisance if I don't have good things to do with them.
Martha, unless it's planted in a spot where it overhangs your patio or
sidewalk, the dropping fruit are not a problem.  They sift down into the
grass - and, at least here, it's hot summertime when they're ripening, and
any that do drop usually dessicate fairly rapidly, or are consumed by the
insects.

I've made mulberry pie - very tasty, though I suspect some of my friends
here at work would be put off by the presence of the stems, but even when
I'm eating straight off of the tree, I eat them stem and all, and there's
no way I'd spend the time removing the stem from each berry.

I've got a couple of gallons of mulberries in the freezer right now.  Have
considered pulling out a bag of them and trying them in the dehydrator.

Lucky.