[NAFEX] apple suggestions

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Fri Aug 5 12:45:13 EDT 2005

Hi Deb,
I would stay away from dwarf trees if you have "HEAVY" clay. They will not thrive
or even survive competing in the dense matter. Also, avoid those trees described as
extremely or very vigorous, as they will be prone to nitrogen deficiency in heavy
clay. No, do not bother with Honeycrisp. Many growers in Massachusetts have tons of
problems with it, as more observations show it a particular grower to more north
temperate regions.
I generally suggest people grow things that they cannot get in the store, which may
seem backward, but my logic is: if you can buy decent ones cheap already, why not
get the flavors you would never find in any market at home?
So stick with a heavy soil tolerant semi-dwarf rootstock, or prune the yeck out of
a standard tree to get it bearing in six years. In a small orchard, also be careful
of ordering many varieties that are non-pollinators (ie their pollen is sterile).
Sounds like you may also want a little fireblight resistance considering your
location.
Hope this helps!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Fri Aug  5  7:43 , Deb Schneider <debs at yahoo.com> sent:

>I tend to get really enthusiastic over catalog descriptions.  Before I rush off
and buy inappropriate things, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions on apples to
add to my little orchard.
>Conditions: SE Ohio in the Appalachian hills...zone 5 or 6 depending on what map
you look at.  HEAVY clay soils.  Planting area is on a hillside that runs east
(high) to west (low).  We get a good amount of rainfall most years and occassional
late spring hard frosts.
>I currently have one tree planted, a Queen Cox.  I also have a wild apple tree
about 75 yards from the site that blooms, but has never set fruit.  I picked the
Queen Cox because it is supposed to be self-fruitful and I hoped to have some fruit
while I gradually planted other pollinators.  This tree is two years old and doing
great so far.  I would prefer something dwarf or semi-dwarf.
>Store bought apples we like include Honeycrisp, Gala, Winesap, Cameo.  Want apples
that are good for fresh eating or drying. Storage ability can be moderate.  We
don't do cider or a lot of cooking with apples, but if we had one that made good
sauce as well as fresh eating that would be fine. (BTW, not fond of Macintosh,
Jonathan, Red Delicious, or Rome type apples).