[NAFEX] Tom Vorbeck

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Thu Aug 4 09:42:06 EDT 2005

> It's with heavy heart that I share this news.  Tom Vorbeck died this

Tom and Jill's Vorbecks "Applesource" was another contribution to fruit culture, because purchasing the Sampler or Explorer packs allowed us to actually taste the apples, a revealing experience.  One I received contained "Downing Tart" which I immediately liked, and Tom provided me the next year with a scion, which grows now.  Tom also sent me a letter or two reporting on new varieties of apple that were more towards the tart side, while explaining that only about 20% like tart like I do.  Those letters are some of the most interesting in my file upstairs, and Tom's Applesource is a model for us all to follow as we all should be tasting much more different fruit.

Tom's Applesource led to many a variety being planted and also to many NOT being planted, a huge savings of many grower's time and resources.  How can a guy contribute more?  I never even heard of Johnny Appleseed putting taste testers in a box and sending them.

Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts