[nafex] Opening American chestnut shell/burr/?

Gene Spears Spears at LMC.edu
Wed Sep 22 08:14:46 EDT 2004

The chestnut burrs should split open once they're completely dry.  You
can put them in a brown paper bag in a warm, dry spot, and they should
eventually open.  The other alternative, if you're impatient, is to use
a thick pair of work gloves and a small screwdriver to pry them open.

Gene
spears at lmc.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Brandle
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 9:47 PM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [nafex] Opening American chestnut shell/burr/?

We have a local chestnut tree that the campus landscaper/botanist says
is American chestnut. I've been watching the nuts as they fall. The
problem is that they have painfully sharp "spines" and don't seem to be
in any hurry to open. Any suggestions.

Also, I've noticed that our red delicious apples don't seem to have been

attacked as badly by insects as the jonathon. I've read suggestions
about some apples being more/less insect attractive/susceptible. Given
my sample size (one tree and one tree), I don't have much to go on. Any
thoughts?

-- sb

All other messages are discarded.
No exceptions.