[NAFEX] Watercore

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Sat Oct 30 23:18:06 EDT 2004

Hi Ozzie, I don't know what it is called but I think I saw the same thing you are
describing in Honeycrisp grown last year in Massachusetts. The grower called it
watercore, so I took his word for it, but this was in early September, so I didn't
think temps had been right for watercore to develop. Then this year I saw it in a
few different varieties growing in low spots. I guess I just assumed I had missed
optimum picking time, but I think now I was making an incorrect assumption. Maybe
we could email Renae and ask her...
a little rain,
Heron
On Sat Oct 30 12:59 , 'Richard J. Ossolinski' <osso at acadia.net> sent:

>>From a newsletter by Renae Moran, Pomologist, U of ME:
>
>> Watercore:
>> With cold temperatures occurring at night and apples becoming mature to over
>> mature, the chance for watercore is likely. Apples with severe watercore should
not be > stored since they will turn black on the inside. Mild cases will cure
themselves,but
>> should not go into CA storage.
>> For those of you who have never seen this, it is water soaking around the core
and
>> inside the core. The air space in the flesh becomes filled with sugars, alcohol
andwater. > McIntosh gets it in rare cases, Delicious gets almost every year.