[NAFEX] Currants and Horses

JoanRRosenberg at aol.com JoanRRosenberg at aol.com
Thu May 27 13:04:15 EDT 2004

Don't be in such a hurry.  My horses are just as apt to pull something out for funsies if they can't eat it or don't want to eat it.  You need to put enough rails on the posts that the smallest nose cannot poke thru and pull out the plant. The fence needs to be high enough that the most long-necked cannot snake over and snitch.   It needs to be sturdy enough that the rail cannot be pushed, pulled or broken by an ambitious an hungry equine. Or you can use wire cattle fence with graduated spacing between welded wire.  My appaloosa Whiskers is notorious for that - he even pulls out thornbushes that I won't touch without heavy thornproof gloves.  I have all sorts of stuff on the fenceline, and so far so good.  But if he ever gets to the other side, I can say "goodbye" to my grapes.  Horses will also stip bark and eat branches of small trees.  They find apricots, peaches, apples and forsythia bushes particularly appealing.