[NAFEX] blueberries and deer?

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Thu May 6 20:37:35 EDT 2004

i have light deer pressure, which means I have deer, and I always find
some deer damage, but they rarely eat much.  (Of course, they
selectively go for my apples and grapes. . .)  I also have blueberry
bushes, both domestic ones and wild ones.  I have never noticed any
deer damage on them.

Two pests I HAVE noticed are rabbits and birds.  If the blueberries
aren't fenced, rabbits will eat every fruiting bud within reach.  For
whatever reason, they don't eat the vegetative buds.  Once the berries
begin to ripen the critical pest is birds, who will denude the bushes.
I haven't found netting to be very effective - if it is tightly
attached to the ground, it works as a snare, and I fish dead chipmunks
and junkos out of it.  If it is not tightly attached to the ground, the
bids find their way in.  A prowling cat has helped a lot, though.

Ginda