[NAFEX] Three insects on a plum tree

Laura Confal laura at innercite.com
Thu May 6 13:08:12 EDT 2004

The "waspy" looking bug is a snake fly.  He's a good guy.  Good predator
and all that.  In the same family as green lacewings and ant lions.

The "red and black" looking bug is a Brown Leatherwing (or one of the
100 or species of leatherwing/soldier beetles).  In the Cantharidae
family.  The books don't say much about them except they are mostly
pollen and nectar feeders, and that some of the larvae are predacious on
other insects. I have lots and lots of them, and except for being an
annoyance, they don't seem to harm my fruit trees nor my roses.

Laura