[NAFEX] Vigorous apples for landscaping

Joe Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Mon May 3 12:37:51 EDT 2004

Howdy all:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/close.pl?115106+4
contains a list of "very vigorous" apples.  Relatively few are modern
scab resistant varieties.  Some people report that apples
with "Russian" names tend to resist scab as do some apples with "Spy"
in their name.

Geneva (crab) should be considered, even though it has tart fruit.

FWIIW, I used Spigold and Novaspy in a couple of places for similar
reasons.

> I'm a landscape designer who emphasizes producing high-quality fruits
in
> the landscape.  I have clients who recall apple trees suitable for
> climbing, though around here (southcentral PA orchard country) all
the
> apple trees are now dwarfs.  (Annual pruning makes them look truly
> deformed.)
>
> Can anyone suggest cultivars of full-size apple trees that would make
> great flowering trees in the landscape, grow big enough to provide
shade
> and to climb and sit in, and produce tasty apples?  They would have
> be managed organically.  The fruit would not have to look perfect,
but
> would have to taste great.  Our biggest disease problem here is scab.
>
> Thank you.
> Louisa Thompson
> Adams County PA (between Gettysburg and the Blue Ridge)

be used to change other email options):

> Message archives are here:

Joe Hecksel
Personal Webpage http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel