[NAFEX] Alternate Pear rootstocks

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Jun 15 16:30:56 EDT 2004

I have a tree of Crataegus douglasii that was topworked to three pears over
30 years ago and has never had a sign of rejection.  Bartlett and Fall
Butter pears reached about 12 feet, while a graft of Old Home is over 20
feet tall, if not taller.
-Lon Rombough

I've got several pears growing on cockspur hawthorn(C.crus-galli)
rootstock.  Oldest one on this is a graft of Ubileen, probably 4  years
old, looks quite healthy, with good branching, but is only about 5 ft
tall.  No fruit yet.  I'm somewhat concerned about the possibility of the
tree breaking over at the graft union at some point in time, as the pear is
quite a bit larger, already, than the hawthorn understock.
Have several pears grafted onto seedling apple/crab rootstocks(purchased as
P.communis seedlings, but they weren't).  Magness and Warren look OK, but
Luscious and Ayers evidently don't 'like' apple - or, maybe the apple
doesn't like the pears.  Ayers grew like crazy the first year, but has
stalled over the past 3 years or so, and is now declining.  I've re-grafted
it onto an OHxF rootstock.