[NAFEX] hawthorn for pear

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sat Jan 17 23:32:01 EST 2004

Hawthorn generally works well as a pear rootstock, though some species of
hawthorn are less compatible than others, in which case you might have to
use an interstem, as is needed with quince rootstock.  I have Bartlett, Old
Home, and Fall Butter pears on one such tree and they have been growing
there for about 30 years.  Dr. Melvin Westwood even had a trial plot of C.
douglasii as a semi-dwarf stock for pears, at Oregon State U.  He concluded
that while the trees were good stocks, they suckered too much.  However,
I've found that C. douglasii will sucker very little if you don't disturb
the soil.  Mow, but don't cultivate, and they make good trees.
-Lon Rombough

Hi All,

I was talking to a neighbor who mentioned his grandfather had grafted a pear
on a red hawthorn that is in his orchard and is over 100 years old.

I'm wondering if this is possible? And do they make good rootstock? Are they
useable with apples or anything else?