[NAFEX] pear trees for Austin, Texas

Drew Demler wildscaper at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 23:05:58 EST 2004

I am trying to obtain information about appropriate pear varieties for the
Austin, Texas area.  I have been able to round up very little reliable
information regarding this subject.  Most info I have is second hand or
vague.  I am told that we receive about 650 chill hours a year.  Would I
still be able to plant lower chill varieties like Orient or Pineapple which
I am told need about 350-450 chill hours?  Any information or advice would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Drew