[NAFEX] Bench Grafting Apples

loneroc loneroc at mwt.net
Sun Jan 4 18:19:05 EST 2004

Tom:

Apples are almost exclusively propagated via dormant (scion and rootstock)
grafting.  It's about the easiest grafting you can do.  Use a whip and
tongue graft and store the finished tree at about 45 degrees F for several
weeks until callus forms.  Then plant while still (near) dormant.

Apples can also  grafted (dormant scion) on potted rootstock that has broken
bud.  Or budded (grafted using a scion of a single bud) in the spring, using
dormant wood or in mid-summer, using vegetative (not spur) buds that are
waiting to begin growth the following spring.  Take your pick, but bench
grafting when both are dormant is the easiest of these.  Get a good grafting
knife and read if you can't find a local teacher.  A good grafter can get
near 100% takes with apples.  A beginner ought to be able to approach 50%
success.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI  USDA zone 3