[NAFEX] weather stations

Peter Knop knop at erols.com
Tue Feb 3 15:03:21 EST 2004

Thanks for the reference  Randall and Tom, I need my own, sigh, as I need to
know soil temps, as well as micro climates as end result will be trying to
get hardier varieties of some of the warm climate plants (I worked with
National Arb. Dr. Egolf, now deceased, on crepe myrtle which he did a
wonderful job of.  I am nolw working with various bamboos and some
ornamentals as well as fruits, so need as much data as possible.  I would
love to avoid the expense and bother (I am NOT a computer guru) of having
our own station (which, if we get what we want from one, will actully
probably involve more than one, unless one station can handle multiple
sensors.....like 5 each on things like soil moisure and soil temp.  As
locations are quite far apart, getting manual readings is no longer cost
efficient - we have very good moisture meters and thermometers from the
early 80's, but they are manual and have to be checked daily!!
 Peter, Clean Earth Foundation
> From: "R. W. Spalinger" <rwspal at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weather stations

> Davis Instruments sells several models of weather stations. Using basic
setups and some add-ons, you can get all the informtion you listed,
including soil moisture, except for probably snow depth.

> I use a Davis weather station to measure and record rainfall, temps,
pessure, wind speed and direction, even insolation in watts/sq. meter. Their
stations will interface with a computer and they have software for analysing
all the data, but you don't need that to record.

> Randall Spalinger
>
> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:07:09 -0500
> From: Tom Olenio <tolenio at sentex.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weather stations
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> Do not forget that there are unmanned weather stations all over the place
collecting data.  Some are tied into the internet so anyone can access the
data.

> There is one very close to me for example (Baden, ON) for example;
> http://www.kwarc.org/ksrwx.html
>
> I realize it is not my backyard, but darn close to it, and costs me
nothing.  Do not overlook similar weather stations near you.