[NAFEX] Powdery Mildew - Apple?

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Wed Aug 25 08:26:15 EDT 2004

Hello All,

Can powdery mildew kill an apple tree?

PM got ahead of me this season on one suspetible tree, and it put on
little new growth, yet fruited for the first time.

All leaves are curled, dry and brittle, but still green.

It is my own fault, for I assumed the combo spray I used would have a
fungicide for PM.  It did not and I no longer assume.

I usually spray dormant lime/sulfur spring and fall, but I hear PM can
overwinter in buds, in severly affected trees.  I have added captan to my
spray regime, but it is too late to correct this years problem.

Any advice from apple tree growers with varieties suseptible to PM?

Thanks,
Tom