[NAFEX] request recipe for black currant sherbet

Louisa Rogoff Thompson louisagardener at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 15:00:39 EDT 2004

Saw the request for black currant jam recipes.  I've done it much as
suggested - cover rinsed black currants with water in a pot that won't
stain or react (e.g. enamel, stainless steel, or glass), add sugar to
taste.  (I, too, don't like the sweetness of commercial products, but
with 'Prince Consort' I found that a much larger amount of sugar was
needed than for other fruits.)  If you don't add enough at this point,
though, you can always add more later.

Boil until the berries have burst.  Stir and press down on them often
with a wood spatula or spoon.  Strain, and proceed as usual for any
jam.  In other words, you don't need to add pectin, citric acid, etc.
However, if you wish you can use a mixture of black and red currants,
black currants and jostaberries, or just jostaberries - which yield a
pink-colored syrup or jam which is delicious.

I usually just make a syrup.  If you let it boil down till it is
thicker, it will be jelly.  You can also leave it uncovered in the
refrigerator and it will gradually thicken.  I have kept mine in the
freezer for years.  I pour it over vanilla ice cream.

I would love to know how to make it into sherbet.  Cassis (black
currant) sherbet is a classic in France, but I've never been able to
find a recipe for it.  It is served both as a dessert and to "cleanse
the palate" between courses of a gourmet meal.

Louisa Thompson