[NAFEX] picking pears

Bob Hartman hartmansfruittrees at wport.com
Thu Aug 5 20:39:47 EDT 2004

Thanks Derry.  I appreciate your response and that of Lucky.  I have been using these types of suggestions for
the last 25 to 30 years and have been successful with most varieties, Bartlett, Sirrine, Aurora, Harrow Delight,
and others.  I have read this same flyer that you refer to from WSU.  I am wondering if others have had
experiences with Clapps Favorite which I have had problems with and the new one to me, Ubileen, or other
varieties that present problems in ripening.  Obviously not all late summer/fall pears are equal.

The late ripening pears or Winter pears are in a different class as to treatment for ripening since most all
require cold storage before ripening.

Thanks again,
Bob
Western Washington (Puget Sound Area)