[NAFEX] Preserving Persimmons

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Sep 22 09:21:26 EDT 2003

At 06:42 PM 9/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyone got any ideas about preserving all these
>native persimmons I'm getting?

Doc,
I freeze my pulp.  Have a canner, but I can't get my wife to use it ;>)

I just collect the ripe fruits, drop 'em in a plastic colander that fits
nicely inside a big stainless steel mixing bowl, and mash away with a
potato masher.  The pulp squeezes out through the holes in the colander,
and then I can spoon it into freezer containers.  Yeah, it takes some elbow
grease to pulp out a bunch of 'em, and I usually feel like I've got carpal
tunnel syndrom in my right hand by the time I finish a big batch.

I've made persimmon leather with the pulp on occasion - put a piece of
plastic wrap on a cookie sheet, spread persimmon pulp on it, and place in
the oven overnight on warm(200 F, or however low you can get your
oven).  Next morning, pull it out and peel the dried persimmon from the
plastic wrap.  Cut or tear into strips and stick in a ziploc bag - I
usually leave the bags open for a few days to make sure moisture level is
low enough that it doesn't mold.  Pretty tasty stuff to munch on while
sitting in your deer stand.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY