[NAFEX] Re: Alpine Strawberry

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Wed Sep 17 22:30:36 EDT 2003

An update on my strawberries.  They are terrific, now that I've learned
how to grow them, desppite not being in the alps.  It seems that alpine
strawberries (or at least, the ones I grow) don't develop much flavor
or sugar until they are very very ripe.  I was picking them when they
had just turned red, or mostly red.  This was what I'd learned to do
with ordinary strawberries, which taste okay when picked a little
early.  I do this because if I leave a nearly ripe strawberry for a
day, it won't be there when I get back.  (Chipmunks, I think.)

Anyway, I gave up on the alpine strawberries because they were so
disappointing, but I didn't bother to pull out the plants, which are
rather attractively edging the bed with the currants.  One day I
noticed that there several strawberries just sitting there, some VERY
ripe.  I picked them, and WOW!!!  They are very soft, very sweet, and
have a rich, aromatic flavor, like pineapple and strawberry and mango
all rolled into one tiny fruit.  The nearly ripe ones still taste
pretty blah.

For whatever reason, the animals don't bother the alpine strawberries
in my garden.  Maybe they haven't noticed the little fruits lurking
under the leaves, or maybe they were discouraged by "blah" under-ripe
fruits.  Now, every few days I peak and see if anything if fully red.
If it is, and it falls off in my hand, I eat it.  If it's just very
red, I leave it on the bush.  I can't say the plants produce much
volume of fruit, but what fruit they produce is well worth it - and
they are still an attractive edging plant.

Ginda