[NAFEX] scale on Myers Lemon

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Fri Sep 12 17:27:47 EDT 2003

I have a myers lemon that lives in a pot through the winter, and in the
ground when it's not too cold - it will probably come inside in about a
month.

I noticed that it seems to have picked up some scale this summer.  I
haven't had scale on this plant before, but my experience with other
houseplants is that it gets much worse when a plant goes indoors.  Any
suggestions of how to combat the scale?  It is obviously a plant we eat
from, but it doesn't currently have any fruit on it (the two that were
growing fell prematurely, possibly because of the scales living near
the fruit stems.)

There aren't many scales on it right now, but I've tried picking them
off manually in the past without much luck.  The young insects are
transparent, and have a bad habit of hanging out in crevices and other
hard-to-see places.  I did end an infestation of something that looked
like wooly algelid on this plant by removing every bug by hand over a
two week period - I went over it leaf by leaf three or four times.
(It's not very big.)  But I don't know if that will be good enough for
scale.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
zone 6, eastern MA