[NAFEX] Interstem Apples

Ed Fackler efackler at woh.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 16:27:37 EDT 2003

Andrew:  You wrote--------------

Won't the buried interstem send out roots and cause some of the traits of
the root section below to be lost?  How is this different than keeping the
union above the ground for a simply grafted tree?

My response--------

Yes, some characteristics are indeed lost.
1. The resulting tree on a 9/106 interstem is approx. 20% larger than a tree
on M9 only.
2. Anchorage is radically improved whereupon staking is not required except
on extremely windy sites.
3. The one thing which intrigues me about this combo is that limb angle on
the tree is much better and I've seen this replicated at other locations.
My good friend John Creech of KY has used this combo extensively under many
varieties for better than 10 years and I've seen the same there.

Does this clear up anything?

ed

To unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change
other email options):