[NAFEX] kaki persimmons in zone 6

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Sep 5 17:24:33 EDT 2003

At 08:08 PM 9/5/2003 +0000, Ted wrote:
>I was wondering why nobody talks about growing 'Hachiya' here in the East.
>Michael, from Edible Landscaping also has not heard of anyone growing it
>in the East. Could it be that the fruits are so large that they need a
>longer growing season?
Ted,
I had a 2-yr old graft of Hachiya that froze out this past winter.

I may try some more kakis at some point in time, but not until I have some
well-established seedling rootstocks that I can graft at 4 ft or
higher.  Low-placed kaki grafts just seem not to survive for me here in my
orchard.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY