[NAFEX] Citrus in zone 6

Dan Sorensen dan.phantom at westpa.net
Sat May 31 23:30:17 EDT 2003

I just returned from a visit to my state capital in Harrisburg, PA.  I was
a little surprised to see a row of six or seven Trifoliate oranges about 6
feet high growing along the south side of the capitol building with no
special protection.  There was no obvious winter damage I could see and the
plants were blooming.  This should be right in the middle of USDA zone 6.

Several years ago I also saw one growing in Philadelphia, near Betsy Ross's
house.  This is significantly warmer and the site was very protected from
wind.  Michael Dirr's book on Hardy Trees and Shrubs mentions them being
grown in Boston as well.

Dan Sorensen

At 04:52 PM 5/31/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I was wondering if any citrus would live and flower in zone 6/7 (NE
>Oklahoma). Fruit doesn't matter so much, since I am sure none of the
>better tasting ones will make it outside in our climate. I am looking for
>nectar plants.
>
>Also, I am assuming mock-orange isn't really citrus at all.
>
>TIA,
>Joyce
>File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary
>files, plain text ONLY!
>Message archives are here:
>To view your user options go to:
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX at XXXX is
>YOUR email address)

Dan Sorensen                               Visit my Experimental Gardening
Website at:
RD2 Box 57                                  http://phantom.home.westpa.net/
Russell, PA 16345                          Northwestern Pennsylvania  USDA
Zone 5
dan.phantom at westpa.net              Penn State Master Gardener & Ham Radio-
WB8VEF