[NAFEX] Citrus in zone 6

Lucky.Pittman Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Sat May 31 22:18:36 EDT 2003

<nafex at lists.ibiblio.org> =====
>Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectinI was wondering if any citrus would live and
flower in zone 6/7 (NE Oklahoma). Fruit doesn't matter so much, since I am
sure none of the better tasting ones will make it outside in our climate. I am
looking for nectar plants.

Trifoliate orange, Poncirus trifoliata, should be fully winter-hardy for you
there.  It handles my southern KY winters just fine, and fruits prolifically -
though I wouldn't call 'em an edible fruit.
I used to supply seeds to a nursery in Cincinnati, and if it'll grow there, I
have no doubt it'd handle OK.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY