[NAFEX] Kaki Streaks and Problems

VBGarden at aol.com VBGarden at aol.com
Fri May 23 18:21:18 EDT 2003

Thought I'd share the last email info from Clemson on the Kaki syndrome.
Sounds like its the Typical Sudden Death deal - no one really knows what or why.
If its not a virus that's good news, but I'm baffled about this idea that
environmental stress would selectively kill one tree?  The black streaks in the
tissue of the tree seem to be another debatable item.  Now I'll have to start
peeling a few branches of healthy trees to make sure that this isn't just What
Kakis Do.  Anyway, here's the last of the email discussion FYI for those
others of you with Kaki persimmons.

>>>This streaking symptom is also seen in other stressed kaki trees which do
not die from this decline. Thus, I believe these symptoms are NOT exclusively
exhibited on trees with this fatal decline syndrome. The black streaks are
likely depositions which I can't comment specifically on right now. All of my
comments today have been observations with limited supporting data. For this
reason, please do not pass my emails on to others as they may misconstrue the info
as proven "fact". In addition, I struggle to handle the amount of inquiries I
get now and do not have staff to help out. I technically am not paid to work
on minor fruit crops thus I prefer to remain low key about these things. Hope
your other kakis continue to do well.<<<

There you have it.  Hope someone somewhere is getting sunshine....

Sybil
in the mudpit that was formerly Virginia Beach strawberry fields.....