[NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri May 9 20:01:40 EDT 2003

No, the trifoliate is hardy to about -15 F, and it has been shown in more
instances than one that the tall trunk adds hardiness.  I've heard several
speculations as to why and the one that makes the most sense is that
trifoliata stays dormant longer than regular citrus, and the taller trunk
helps keep the citrus dormant longer, and in less danger of freezing, than
when the citrus is grafted low.  I've heard more than one person say that
citrus grafted high on trifoliata starts growth later than when budded low.
Go check at the California Rare Fruit Growers - they've done a lot with
this.