[NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri May 9 15:24:17 EDT 2003

At 12:05 PM 5/9/2003 -0700, Lon wrote:
>I recall the story of Orange, TX.  It was supposed to have been an orange
>growing area for years.  In those days, oranges were grafted high, like 5
>feet or so, on Poncirus trifoliata, so that cattle could be allowed to
>graze in the orchards without bothering the trees.  However, newer
>orchards were planted in fenced areas with no cattle, so they were grafted
>close to the ground.  Those trees froze out when the ones grafted high on
>the trifoliata survived.  Apparently grafting the trees high on trifoliata
>gave them more resistance to cold.
I'm beginning to think there's something to this 'highworking' phenomenon.
I grafted some kaki persimmons 2 and 1 yr ago - all froze out this past
winter, except for 3 varieties(Great Wall, Maekawa Jiro, Saijo) that I had
topworked(I had leftover scionwood) onto some large D.virginiana seedlings
last year - about 5 ft above ground.  These look great.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY