[NAFEX] Antioxidants in Bilberry, etc.

Rick Valley bamboogrove at cmug.com
Sun May 4 15:45:14 EDT 2003

Since pigment abundance seems to be a simple indicator of high antioxidant
levels, I predict that Gaultheria shallon, salal, will soon be all the rage.
The berries are usually insipid, dry, leathery or otherwise disappointing
fresh, but if cooked up with a bit of honey, they'll make a vivid dark tasty
syrup/sauce. And the leaves make a healthful tea acc. to Moore. The genus
has others of interest too, of course, and since I know they'll hybridize
with Pernettya, there is probably all the genetic plasticity that could be
desired for adapting them as intensive crop plants.

-Rick