[NAFEX] Re: hardy blackberry

Judith Miller paradisegds at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 11:14:17 EDT 2003

Is there someone who can refer me to a berry identifier?  I was just given some exultantly large blackberry plants and would like a guess at identification.  They are homesteaders' plants from an abandoned farm so pretty old-- though this is a recently settled area--so perhaps pre-1930's; they are large, thick, thorny caned, stout stemmed and with fat buds on the runners.  My friend has had them 3 years and they only have run a little bit since she set them.  This is usda zone 4 over the long haul (thornless blackberries really take it in the neck even in a mild winter).

And while I am asking, would appreciate tips on culture of cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus) which have germinated nicely from Russian seed this spring.

Judy in north Idaho where we just had 1/4 inch of rain--much to the delight of the robins & ducks.

Judith Miller
Paradise Gardens Rare Plant Nursery
Bonners Ferry Idaho USA Zone 4 Mintemp -25F (-31C)http://www.rareplantnursery.net