[NAFEX] Root Grafting

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Mar 26 11:26:34 EST 2003

At 11:08 AM 3/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>  I am interested in any tips, thoughts and sites on root grafting of
> trees. I have not tried it but not having rootstock to graft to but I
> have the varieties I need I would like to try root grafting. I have found
> some info in books etc. They dig up roots same size as scions use 3 to 6
> inch piece to make graft and bury root and graft in soil.

Gordon,
I've never tried root grafting, but have seen it described & illustrated in
Garner's The Grafter's Handbook.   After several failed attempts at
grafting Clermont black walnut, Cliff England told me that he'd only been
able to get it to take by grafting it on a root.  I did, however, manage to
get a take of it last year with that sap-stopper modification of the Gray
graft.

Lucky