[NAFEX] Grow fruit higher than deer can reach?

Erdman, Jim ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Tue Mar 25 13:15:05 EST 2003

I just had to add my 2 cents to this discussion.  We have a number of 12 year old trees, mostly apple, on a variety of rootstocks (from P-22 to seedling) and find that the deer will eat enough branches and bark to kill a tree that is 10 years old.  They have ripped off fairly large branches (size of my arm) of a Gala and killed it. And then the neighbor's Scottish Highland cattle get out, and tear things up good, although theyare more interested when their are  ripe apples on the trees.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI