[NAFEX] Soil pH problems

philip sauber mrtejas at lycos.com
Mon Mar 17 16:23:37 EST 2003

I have what I think is too low of soil pH.  The soil where I live is 100% black clay and years ago was made into red bricks.  The home builders bring in 60% sand/40% clay as fill but that doesn't drain very well either.  In order to grow citrus trees I brought in 48 yards of composted pine bark/sand spread to 6-8" of depth over my 3,000 ft2 growing area.  What I have seen is some trees do OK in this and others are green and healthy but do not grow.  They have responded to addition of lime and started to grow.  My pH meter shows low pH(I've heard pH paper is more accurate hut haven't gotten any yet.)

I have a bag of pulverised dolomitic limestone.  Is this lime or limestone?  The last bag I bought said lime.  Both came from Home Depot.  How fast acting will it be?  I've heard limestone is slow acting.  I spread it whenever I fertilize like yesterday.