[NAFEX] black locust: saved hungary??

Rick Valley bamboogrove at cmug.com
Mon Mar 17 11:24:51 EST 2003

> I don't know this story. How did black locust save Hungary?

The country was largely deforested, when a Hungarian noble introduced the
tree (from France I believe) prior to 1800. Now it is the basis of the honey
crop there, and a primary timber tree from plantations. Eastern Europeans
lead in selecting clones for timber and bloom. I don't recall his name, but
the guy has a rep a bit like an aristo Johnny Appleseed.

(I gotta say, gave me pride, traveling in France, to see Black Locust
thriving here and there, and think, golly, at least one N. American plant
has managed to invade Europe!)

-Rick