[NAFEX] Hmmm...what am I missing

Joe and Ellen Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Sun Mar 16 19:23:15 EST 2003

>>Gang:
>>
>>I must be missing something here.   If apple trees breaking at the graft
> union are a major concern why not just drive a metal splice across the
> graft union?

That will probably work for simple bending but will not be adequate for
torsional (or twisting) stresses.  An earlier post mentioned a need for
three posts to address twisting.

Regarding Black Locust.  Fast grower but not very shade tolerant.  Some
people claim it has allopathic effects that dwarf Black Walnut.  I am
pollarding mine instead of coppicing.  I want to see if I can avoid
heavy suckering.

I see different species and cultivars the way I see the many tools in my
tool box.  Black Locust is a bit like a ball peen hammer.  There are
times when no other tool will do.  And then there are times when use of
the ball peen hammer will cause much damage.

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel