[NAFEX] black locust

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu Mar 13 18:49:52 EST 2003

Black locust makes fantastic fenceposts. Untreated black locust will
outlast a treated post in the ground (and when it finally rots below
ground level, the  aboveground remains, if used as firewood, have as the
only drawback that they may overheat your stove if you don't have good
air intake control). You can cut the posts at desired size and don't
need to bother replanting; they'll grow back, and for posts can be cut
every few years.

BUT -- plant them where you can mow around the area. They will sucker
from the roots and are very invasive. And, the posts are hard to drive
staples into; I expect it would be hard to drive nails into black locust
lumber.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly