[NAFEX] Pawpaws and butterflies

Mark Garrison pawpaw1 at cox.net
Wed Mar 12 09:07:16 EST 2003

This is off topic but I ask your indulgence.

I'm interested in bringing zebra swallowtail butterflies to my pawpaw patch.  Pawpaws are (almost) the sole source of food for the caterpillar of this butterfly, and since pawpaws are not native to Rhode Island there are no such butterflies here.  I have sixty-odd pawpaw trees, which should be enough to support a population.  I'm looking for advice, suggestions, and a way to get hold of some cocoons of this butterfly.

Mark Garrison, RI zone 6