[NAFEX] sprouting seeds recipe

Bernie Nikolai bnikolai at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 5 19:34:33 EST 2003

About three years ago I tried sprouting apple seeds in my micro breeding
project.  I put the apple seeds in damp peat moss as I had read peat
inhibits mold.  The result was about 10% of the seeds sprouted, and most
were covered by a heavy grey/white mold, despite the peat moss.

The next year I swirled the seeds in a 10% household bleach, 90% tapwater
solution for 2 or 3 minutes, then rinsed them off in water that had been
boiled but had dropped to room temperature.  Then I put them in plastic zip
lock bags in the basement fridge in damp (not wet) common sand.  I first put
100% bleach in the sand and swirled it around with a stick.  Then I rinsed
the sand several times with water that had boiled, but was at room temperature.

The bottom line is I had as near as I could tell 100% germination, and ZERO
mold of any kind.  I haven't tried this method with anything but apple
seeds, but I don't see why it won't work for other seeds as well.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta