[NAFEX] MN 447

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at columbia-center.org
Wed Mar 5 15:41:16 EST 2003

To the list,

Although I don't have any knowledge of the MN 447 apple, this apparent
attitude of the University of Minnesota disturbs me.

Some of you have said you like the apple, some don't, but according to
David Bedford "they thought it was too strongly flavored for most people"
and won't name it. Apparently they have no plans to distribute it either.

It seems to me that a university has a moral if not a legal obligation to
make the results of its research available to the public and not act as a
censor of public taste. Otherwise this knowledge and variety could be lost.

Or have I misunderstood, and is the university planning to market the apple
variety on its own to generate income?

Betty Mayfield