[NAFEX] native virus

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 08:29:12 EST 2003

Ed wrote:
>      Viruses are transmitted in various ways other than traditional
>grafting/budding and pruning......

Ed, In my ignorance I have been cautious about mixing it up with the native
stuff that surrounds my orchard....Does perhaps this mean that I might as
well use this wild stock as a repository for scionwood varieties - because
virus' are so endemic and transmittable that my trees would contact it
anyway? Would be handy at times to graft onto native stocks, amelanchier,
hawthorn, p. americana....besides experimenting with them as rootstocks.
thanks, Del.......hoping to top out at 25F for Jan. today,  -28F was the
bottom, looks might we might be missing another chance for a test
winter..... : )

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3