[NAFEX] Early apple

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Jan 29 10:21:48 EST 2003

At 10:16 AM 1/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>1) I'm looking for early-season apples: either one (ripening somewhere from
>July to Mid August) or perhaps two (one from July to early August, the other
>from Mid to late August). Best would be apples that are very good for both
>fresh eating and cooking (primarily apple sauce/butter and a few pies); next
>best would be either very good eating and decent cooking, or very cooking
>and decent eating. Recommendations, anyone?
My all-time favorite would have to be Yellow Transparent.  Better, by far,
in my opinion, than its offspring, Lodi.
Still waiting for my Red June to do something, and Mollie's Delicious
succumbed to fireblight last year.

I had high hopes for "MonArk", here in KY, but my tree succumbed to a borer
attack 2 years ago - though I did salvage a scion and re-graft it, but
it'll probably be another year or two before it gets enough age/size on it
to fruit.  Don't know how, if at all, it would fare in Maine, though.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/Asst. Prof.
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY